Friday, May 30, 2008

Something to say about ministry

Another week down and we’re one step closer to launching this new church. The ride has been great. Our team is growing in unity which is always nice to have. I have a very busy weekend ahead of me. I have a wedding to officiate, a Comeback Event to attend, and a flight to get ready to take. I will be flying to Chicago and driving to Evanston, IL for a multiethnic conference facilitator training. It should be good. Hopefully, I will have some time to talk to the National Church Plant Director about securing funds for this new church. In America, things take money…a new church is no different.

I learned something interesting and very important this week. Ministry is a series of highs and lows that occur throughout the week and the day. I realized this after our Launch team meeting this past Wednesday. We had some great news from one couple and it was equally exciting to see our team reach out to each other in times of need. We have two families that are moving on the same day. So, both of them will require some help to move. It was awesome to see our team step up to the plate. One family needed a place to live and another family offered to rent out their town home. Of course, none of this is accidental or coincidental. It is purposed by design.

In the midst of all this stuff going on after the meeting, I realized that this is what ministry should be about. I also realized that times like these are short lived because the very next moment could be filled with tragedy. I know this is a slight embellishment but people’s complaints and so called critiques can really hurt. The complaints and the critiques are where the lows come in. It doesn’t always have to be about complaints or critiques either. Many times it is our selfishness that brings on the lows in our lives. My goal is not to run or hide from the lows and seek only the highs. My goal is to manage both. Too many lows can lead to depression. Too many highs can lead to an unrealistic (rose colored) view of ministry. I strive to maintain a balance where I don’t get too high but celebrate and don’t get too low but find the teachable moment.

In reality, ministry is messy because ministry is about people. We are all broken vessels that need the mending of our heavenly Father through Jesus Christ (Is. 61). Until next time…

Crossroads Vineyard Church

No comments:

Post a Comment